Saturday, November 13, 2010

Breakfast toast cups!


I first found this recipe at The Noshery I thought it looked amazing so I saved it in my bookmarks for the perfect  quick breakfast for a rainy Saturday morning. And since today is a rainy Saturday morning I figured what better time to try it! Turns out it's just as fantastic as it looks, what you'll need:

6-cup muffin pan
1 3in circle cookie cutter
6 slices of bread
6 slices of semi cooked bacon
3 tsp of shredded cheese
salt & pepper

1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
2)Grease the muffin pan, you can use a spray like Pam or butter the old fashion way.
3) Cut out 3in bread circles using cookie cutter, I don't have a 3in circle cookie cutter so I just used a large beer stein instead :D
4) Press the bread circles firmly into the muffin pan, be careful though they do tend to tear!
5) Form semi cooked bacon into the bread cups, (bacon should be cooked through but still bendable, mine was not... it was left over from BLTs on Thursday night) Add 1/2 tsp of cheese in the cups. Bake for five min. allowing the Bacon to get crispy and the cheese to melt to the bottom of the cups.
6) Add 1 egg to each cup separating out most of the egg white to they fit nicely, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10-12 min. This alows the egg to set but still be slightly goo-ey in the middle!
7) Pop our of muffin pan and enjoy steaming hot! mmmm delicious. :)
This is right after adding the eggs, before the second  bake. 
A couple of quick notes:
I tried both white and wheat bread, the white was delicious in the end but the wheat seemed to hold up better without tearing.
I also tried scrambled on one of them because I don't particularly like goo-ey yoke, it actually turned out pretty good the scrambled yoke soaked into the bread as it baked and it turned out really good, so that works as a sub as well if you don't like goo-ey yoke either.
My bacon was already completely cooked because it was leftovers so it got a little crispier than it should, but I am infamous for loving burnt food so if you don't like really crispy bacon I suggest cooking fresh so that it still has some crisping to do in the oven!

I  love the simplicity of this recipe and I can't wait to try it again with a few different ingredients refrigerator biscuts instead of toast, colby jack instead of cheddar, ham instead of bacon.... mmhmm

Enjoy with your morning tea or coffee, the perfect quick breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment